Friday, February 11, 2011

Random Act of Kindness

Last night, my husband, 2 of our dearest business partners and me had had an unforgettable experience. Enough to say that it was not our highlight of the day and would surely be quite some time before we forget the scene. Let's just say when emotion and anger consumes the mind, people can act quite aggressively & in an uncivilized way. Alhamdulillah my 2 business partners was very mature, very professional and I have to say they had showed great composure in the whole commotion.

As I woke up this morning, I was feeling a big groggy from lack of good sleep, emotionally a bit ticked by the unforseen event the previous night, I had had busy clinics in the new vitreoretinal team, I haven't really held my 1yr old son in 4 days as everyday as I came back, he'd already be asleep and as I took off to work in the morning, he'd still be in bed. In a word, I was feeling low. The drive to work was not as jam-packed as usual but the dread of running an operating theatre and an upcoming assesment by the Profs today, was enough to make my mood parallel with the clutch in the car.

But as I drove into the carpark, as I reached the 4th level (without any sign of an empty spot), I took a bend at the curve, and I saw an old Chinese man being pushed by his wife (I presumed) in a wheelchair, in the narrow curve. I knew if I go through the curve they'll have to wait and let me pass first or else they'll get squeezed against the wall. So I reversed my car, and let them pass, and as they passed my car, they raised their hands to say thanks. Amazingly, I felt so good about myself, and I was literally elated after that.

Conclusion? Whenever you feel so depressed about something, regardless it's your boss, of your spouse, of your children is taking a huge toll of your daily composure, try a RANDOM ACT of KINDNESS to someone you DONT know... The effect? Better than any drugs in the world. You'll feel better instantly, plus you're one step closer in making our planet a better place to stay :)

No comments:

Post a Comment