Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sydney: Conference & Darling Harbour

Hye all,

We went to the Asia Pasific Academy of Ophthalmology conference in Sydney Convention Centre that has gathered 4000 delegates from all over the world from USA to Brazil, from Helsinki to Indonesia. The opening ceremony on Sunday 20th March was very amazing, we have performance from doctors in forms of soprano singing, drum playing & tap dancing, inspiring me to do more in life besides medical world.



On Monday, we walked in pride in our traditional baju kurung & kebaya, to bring a bit of culture to the congress, regardless of the pouring rain.



We had fun while learning too, thanks to my dear friend Hajar who is the most bubbly person I ever known in my life. Even figuring out the schedule of the day was a bit confusing as there were more than 5 lectures running simultaneously & all of them was interesting




We had fantastic sessions on neuroophthalmology & hear the terms like "palinopsia" for the first time in our lives, which meant the patient had a persistent first iamge as s/he look at a second image, causing overlap of the two images.. like follows...



As the rain stopped in the afternoon & the sun shone, I took a walk at the famous Darling Harbour with my beloved Elaine.





We went to the Sydney Aquarium & had some ice-cream afterwards, before she left home to Hardybay, leaving me so lonely than I had ever been since I reached Sydney. I missed her the second she left, cos she is so easy-going, funny & pleasant to be with, much to my friends' agreement, eventhough they had only known her for few days, and I have known her the past 12 years. We promised each other that we'll meet again regardless how many years it'll take & we'll make sure our kids will know each other.

After she left, as I was deep in thoughts, I accidently dropped my newly bought earring into the sink in our hotel room & I must give applause to their maintenance dept as they manage to retrieve my earring in less than half hour :)

I went back to the conference after Elaine left & finished my day with shopping at the Hard Rock Cafe Sydney at Darling Harbour, buying a few over-priced t-shirts for me & hubby. Even thought it hurt my wallet a bit, but I know I'm paying for more than a piece of clothes.. I am paying for a piece of sweet memory...

1 comment: