Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Ultimate Bridgeclimb!!!




Thursday the 24th March 2011 was the last day for us in Sydney. We have decided not to got to anymore lectures & enjoy ourselves in the beautiful Sydney.

We took a bus early in the morning, to reach the Bridgeclimb headquarters at the foot of the Darling Harbour, near the Rocks around 9.30am. After paying AUD$198 each for a three-hours climb, we all geared up for the time of our lives

.

Before the climb, we had to fill in few forms & had our breath analyzed for alcohol content. Everybody was required to say 1-5 to the breathanalyzer, and I proudly said my numbers in Malay. We got to know the rest of the group as well, which consisted of us 3 Malaysian doctors (who escaped from our conference), a few Brits, one Taiwanese girl & a couple from Sydney. All have different reasons why they are climbing that day, some being their birthday, others just want a change from climbing mountains to climbing bridges, as for me, I thought climbing the Harbour Bridge of Sydney is just one of the things I must do in life. Afterall, it was listed as the 10 most exciting things in the world to be climbed, alongside Kilimanjaro Mountain! Numerous famous people has climbed the bridge as well, including my idol, Oprah Winfrey!


After changing to our jumpsuits and had a short briefing , we started our climb with our cheerful tourguide, Christy, at approximately 10.25am... the view was just spectacular, with temperature around 29 degree celcius, wind at 20-25km/hr, the climb was as perfect as it could be. The first section was an area called the "catwalk" as we need to walk about 300m of narrow plank of wood, all of us securely attached to an iron wire with our safety harness. The most difficult part of the journey was to climb about 150 steps up narrow staircase, with low-rise brim, while a train pass us at full speed. The excitement & slight fear of height nearly consumed me, but I managed to get to the top with encouragement from my friends.


Once we reached the archway, the view was just purely heaven. The visibility was astounding and we could see the whole of Sydney! As my fear slowly vanished to thin air, Hajar & me started singing a few Malay song in honour of our country & as we reached to very top, we screamed our excitement and joy on top our lungs... and it was totally exhilarating! I shouted the names of the people I loved (hubby, kids, my lil sis Aini & my best friend, Belinda's name) and it was A.W.E.S.O.M.E!


As we turned to take a few group photos, the wind was just picking up, and as we climbed down, the wind accelerated to 40km/hr. Closing my eyes, hands and arms apart, I felt like flying!!! Oh gosh Thank You GOD!!



It took us less than an hour to climb down, and by the time we reach the ground, my knees felt like they were made of jelly. The experience was worth a thousand words & I would never exchange it with anything at all...

One less thing on my to-do-list.. next one? Maybe a skydiving ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment